- Access to legal aid in immigration related proceedings directly engages fundamental rights;
- Effective functioning of the justice system including the Immigration and Refugee Board requires that individuals are represented by skilled, competent legal professionals;
- In the absence of legal aid, vulnerable individuals will be denied access to representation;
- There are significant disparities in access to legal aid across the country;
that the CCR:
- Advocate on both the federal and provincial levels for adequate and sustainable legal aid services in immigration and refugee related areas;
- Advocate that federal transfers and provincial legal aid legislation include specific requirements for the delivery of immigration and refugee services.