- The IRB Chairperson has issued guidelines on unaccompanied minors;
- There is nothing in the guidelines to encourage expedited hearings, nor avoiding full hearings, nor on recognizing the principle of family reunification;
- There are often compelling reasons to expedite unaccompanied minors and very little difference between their claims and the claims of their parents, siblings or relatives whose claims have already been adjudicated positively;
Therefore be it resolved
That the CCR write to the IRB Chairperson to recommend that:
- Expedited hearings be generously used for such children;
- The IRB develop substantive guidelines for children which will include family reunification as one of its principles.