The Overseas Protection and Resettlement (OPR) Working Group provides a forum to exchange information, network and develop policy positions in the area of:
- the protection needs of refugees and other forcibly displaced people around the world;
- the resettlement of refugees to Canada and internationally;
- the needs and challenges experienced by refugees prior to resettlement to Canada (whether resettled through government programs or private sponsorship);
- the needs and challenges experienced by resettled refugees in Canada during the period of the sponsorship undertaking, in collaboration with the I&S working group;
- the needs and challenges experienced by private sponsors.
The Working Group priorities for 2023 are:
- Equity (in processing of resettlement applications and in responses to emergencies)
- Reduced access to resettlement (addressing new obstacles to resettlement)
- Family reunification
In addition, we identified root causes as a long-term concern.
Note: the Working Group was until 2017 known as the Working Group on Overseas Protection and Sponsorship (OPS).
The Working Group follows closely the Annual Tripartite Consultations on Resettlement - the international forum for discussing issues of resettlement.
Consult the resolutions related to Overseas Protection and Resettlement in the Resolutions Database.