- Canada is a member of the Organization of American States which has developed a human rights instrument, the American Convention on Human Rights;
- Canada has entered economic agreements with the U.S. and Mexico and plans to enter a joint asylum granting agreement with the U.S.;
- Mexico has ratified, and the U.S. has signed, the American Convention on Human Rights;
- The Convention offers enhanced protections for non-citizens with respect to certain rights, notably family rights and procedural rights;
that the CCR:
- Urge Canada to ratify the American Convention on Human Rights;
- Invite the Network on International Human Rights to hold discussions with a view to increasing awareness of the functioning of the OAS human rights system and thereby encouraging such ratification.