- The Canadian Council of Churches and the Inter-Church Committee for Refugees have cooperated in the preparation of a brief submitted by ICCR to the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child about non-citizen children;
- The CCR meets regularly with senior immigration officials;
Therefore be it resolved
That the CCR support the thrust of the Brief submitted by ICCR and raise the major recommendations of the Brief at its meeting with officials, namely:
- providing training programs on the Convention for the various actors in immigration procedures;
- allowing the children of non-citizens to benefit from the Canadian Human Rights Act as of right;
- introducing provisions of the Convention into the Immigration Act and Regulations relating to overseas procedures; children in hearings and interviews; family reunion procedures; and access to essential health and social services.