Looking for facts about refugees and immigrants in Canada? Need materials and actions to use at an upcoming community event? Browse the CCR's outreach resources webpage for materials on issues affecting refugees and immigrants.
- Kids New to Canada: Advocacy for Immigrant and Refugee Health Needs
- Canadian Paediatric Society: Choosing the right tool: An advocacy starter kit
- Plan Canada: Advocacy Toolkits
- Community Toolbox: Developing a Plan for Advocacy
- Association for Progressive Communications: Advocacy Strategies and approaches: Overview
- ACPS: 8 Steps to Good Advocacy
- Pathfinder International: Mapping an Advocacy Strategy
- Social Brite: Resources for social advocates
- Digital activism and organizing: Research review and reading list
- Digital Activism: A brief introduction
- ISANS: Myths about refugees
- Canadian Association of Refugee Lawyers (CARL) - Challenging The Myths: The Truth About Canadian Refugee Law
- Canadian Council for Refugees: Did you know... ? Facts about refugees and refugee claimants in Canada
- Canadian Council for Refugees: Refugee myths... busted! Choosing facts over fear
- AMSC - Alberta Urban Municipalities Association: Welcoming and Inclusive Communities toolkit
- Amnesty International - Canada: Canadian Refugee Champions
- CMAJ: Health: Caring for a newly arrived syrian refugee family
- Surrey Welcoming Communities Project: Resource Guide for Supporting Children with Refugee Experience
- Canadian Council for Refugees: Acronyms
- UNHCR: Glossary of terms
- Canadian Council for Refugees: Refugees and immigrants: a glossary
- AMSSA: Glossary of Key Terms - Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
- Canadian Council for Refugees Family reunification
Refugee Rights Day - April 4th
- Definition: What is Refugee Rights Day in Canada?
- Guide: A guide to meeting with local MPs for Refugee Rights Day
- MP Handout: Three key issues
- Social Media Toolkit: Raising awareness and amplifying Refugee Rights Day in the Digital Space
- Pamphlet: Guaranteeing life, liberty, security and humanity for refugees in Canada
- Lecture: Supreme Court's 1985 Singh decision on refugees and Canada's refugee determination system
- Videos: a YouTube playlist on the significance of the Singh decision.
Defining your target audience:
- Audience mapping: defining your audience's personas
- How to use polls on Facebook
- How to use polls on Twitter
- Free tools to survey your audience
- Guide to web conferencing and list of free tools
- CCR Webinar: A Guide to Digital Advocacy (recording)
- Creating Personas to Bridge the Gap with Target Audiences
- Advocacy: Identifying the target audience
- Identifying target audiences: primary, secondary and audience segments
Crafting an impactful message:
- What is messaging? How are key messages developed?
- Call to Action Examples for Nonprofits
- The Essentials for Crafting the Right Messages
- #CommunicatingforChange: Determine your key messages
- How to craft your one minute message
- Communications plan template: #3, messaging
- 6 principles for meaningful messages that matter
Choosing your social media platform & Facebook:
- The Best Social Media Platforms for Nonprofits
- How to choose the right social media networks for your organization
- High-Impact Tips and the Best Free Tools: The preferred social networks
- Strengths and Weaknesses of Top Platforms
- Which social network should my non-profit use?
Content creation, tracking & curation tools
- Graphics & visual content creation: 23 Tools and Resources to Create Images for Social Media
- Social Media Image Sizes Cheat Sheet
- Content curation tools: Google Alerts, Twitter search, and Feed.ly
- Social media scheduling tools: Facebook post scheduling, Hootsuite, and Buffer
- Facebook Insights: to analyze and report on page data, including demographics, audience engagement, post performance and more.
Twitter tools & best practices
- Graphics & visual creation:free and easy to use tools to create banners and Twitter cards.
- Content curation: researching a related hashtag on Twitter such as #CdnImm or #CdnPoli, you can also find more free and user-friendly content curation tools here
- Scheduling tools: Hootsuite, Tweetdeck or Buffer
- Twitter Analytics tool: measure engagement, explore the interests, locations, and demographics of your followers for optimal Twitter activity.
- Hashtags: Hashtagify is a tool to select relevant and strategic hashtaging
- Twitter as an online advocacy tool, including: what to tweet, building a following, engaging community and connecting with prominent voices
- A list of 25 Twitter Tips for nonprofits, including: Twitter list best practices, Twitter netiquette, and more.
- A list of 12 types of Tweets to share, including: community stories and more.
- Tweeting on Refugee Rights Day, influding hashtags, getting started, and more.
LinkedIn, Instagram & Youtube: Tips, tools & advice
- The guide to Instagram hashtagging
- A short guide to Instagram best practices, including examples, and tips
- Youtube Nonprofit Program overview
- 9 best practices to put LinkedIn to work for non-profits, including: how to engage in groups, fundraising, and more.
- LinkedIn: An Essential Tool for Nonprofits, including where to start, what works best, how to be effective with limited resources. and more.
- ISANS - Welcome Refugees video series: a great example of video storytelling
Community building through social media
- Sample Online Community Guidelines, including: moderating tips, rules, and more.
- CCR list of acronyms in English and French
- CCR Anti-oppression policy
- How to build a social community
- How to Use Facebook Live to Broadcast Impact
- Facebook Live Video/Livestream
- The Science of Building a Strong, Lasting Community on Social Media, including dialogue principles, etiquette rules, and more.
- Social Networking: A Guide to Strengthening Civil Society Through Social Media
Organizing in the digital space
- Community Organizing: People Power from the Grassroots, including strategy, principles, rules and strategy
- Grassroots approach to organizing - Snowflake model
- Mobilisation Lab: It’s all just organizing
- Bringing Community Organizing Into Online Social Media Campaigns (SlideShare)
- Introduction to Community Organizing: Social Media and Online Tools
- Organizing handbook: People, Power, Change
- CCR outreach resource page, including
- Outreach for Non-Profits: Best Practices for Beginners
- A step-by-step guide: creating an outreach plan
- Sample Plan: Outreach Plan Development
- Creating an Outreach Strategy
- Why An Outreach Plan Is Crucial for Every Non-Profit (SlideShare)
- E-book: Strategic Communication Planning for Not-for-Profit Organizations, including outreach strategy, tactics, planning, and more
Securing your digital activism & Dealing with trolls
- The Info-Activism How-To Guide: Top 5 tips for digital security & privacy
- Security in a box - Digital security tools and tactics
- A Guide to feminist cyber security
- 5 Most Effective Ways To Deal With Internet Trolls
- A step-by-step guide to dealing with trolls