- Homeless immigrants and refugees are a vulnerable population;
- HRDC will not issue Social Insurance Numbers without immigration documents and CIC will not issue permanent residence cards without a Social Insurance Number.
- Immigrants cannot travel without a permanent resident card after December 31, 2003.
Therefore be it resolved
That the CCR:
- Urge HRDC to set up a process to work with homeless and other vulnerable immigrants to obtain Social Insurance Numbers.
- Urge CIC to extend the deadline for permanent resident cards until December 2004.
Immigration and Settlement