- A humanitarian tragedy is being played out in Zaire and Rwanda and urgent action from the international community is needed.
- Hundreds of thousands of Rwandan refugees have repatriated from Zaire to Rwanda, resulting in the need for a massive settlement program in Rwanda.
- The Government of Canada has announced its intention to lead an international military force to protect humanitarian relief operations in eastern Zaire.
- Gross human rights violations and a lack of a functioning judicial system are major impediments to reconciliation in Rwanda.
- Leaders of the 1994 Rwandan genocide are living freely in Zaire and other neighbouring countries.
Therefore be it resolved
That the CCR urge the Government of Canada to:
- Support the safe and voluntary repatriation of remaining Rwandan refugees in Zaire, Tanzania and Burundi under close supervision of NGOs and international bodies such as the UNHCR and UNCHR.
- Exercise influence and push for firm and coordinated international action to create a favourable atmosphere for repatriation by:
a) Helping the Rwandan government and international NGOs in Rwanda to continue with community economic development projects by providing financial and technical assistance.
b) Diminishing the degree of fear of refugees to repatriation by urging the Government of Rwanda to end human rights violations.
c) Cooperate with foreign donors in order to provide logistical and financial assistance to rebuild the Rwandan judicial system.
d) Influence the Rwandan government to quickly begin trials.
- Extend financial, logistical and moral support to the United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda based in Arusha, Tanzania, and influence the governments of Zaire, Tanzania, Kenya, Burundi and Cameroons to cooperate with this Tribunal to ensure that criminals are brought to justice.
- Support a concerted political action to force the government of Zaire to stop permitting the former Rwandan government's militia and the forces of interhamwe, responsible for the 1994 genocide, from using Zairian territory for military operations against the government of national reconciliation in Rwanda.
Overseas Protection and Resettlement