Paternal consent for children

Resolution number: 
May 2008
  1. Women who have been accepted as refugees or permanent residents in Canada and who are seeking family reunification with their children overseas are required to produce a signed consent form from the father, or a custody order if the parents have separated;
  2. This creates an unfair burden on women in some cases, especially in cases of domestic violence;
  3. Such demands are leading to delays which, in some cases, compromise the best interests of children affected;
Therefore be it resolved: 

That the CCR request that the Canadian Government find alternative solutions, which correct gender imbalance and respect the best interests of the child, in such cases.

Working Group: 
Inland Protection