- Visa officers appear to be refusing an increasing number of privately sponsored refugee applicants;
- There is no appeal from such refusals except by way of judicial review which few applicants are aware of or resourced to pursue;
- Canada Immigration National Headquarters staff have indicated no more exact figure than that between 40% and 60% of privately sponsored refugees are refused;
Therefore be it resolved
That the CCR:
- Obtain from the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration broad based statistical information on refusals of privately sponsored applications.
- Request that the Minister put in place policy which requires visa posts to give sponsoring groups and refugee applicants detailed reasons for the refusal of an application.
Overseas Protection and Resettlement