- National Detention Standards remain at a draft stage but function as de facto guidelines;
- It is acknowledged that there are no management oversight boards for detention facilities within the CIC structure and no satisfactory complaint mechanisms;
Therefore be it resolved
That the CCR urge CIC to:
- Amend and adopt the draft National Detention Standards in line with NGO proposed amendments;
- Establish management oversight boards for CIC detention facilities and an effective complaint mechanism for detainees and NGOs;
- Adopt national detention standards for persons detained in non-CIC facilities.