- Anyone who resides in Canada should be entitled to an acceptable level of healthcare;
- The Canada Health Act enshrines the principle of universality;
- Preventative healthcare is both more humane and more economical than curative healthcare; and
- The International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights recognizes that everyone has the right to “the highest attainable standard of physical and mental health” and that States have a duty of non-discrimination in the realization of that right.
Therefore be it resolved
That the CCR oppose the reductions to the IFHP announced in April 2012 and advocate:
- For the cancellation of the announced reductions,
- Against any other reductions in IFHP coverage, and
- Against any differentiation in coverage based on category of refugee or claimant, or stage of processing (e.g. claimant, accepted refugee, refused refugee, government-assisted refugees, privately-sponsored refugees).