- CIC stops processing a permanent resident application upon the death of the applicant, and stops processing a sponsorship application upon the death of the sponsor;
- Stopping the process affects family members who are included as dependants in the application;
- Canada has an obligation to consider the best interests of affected children and act in accordance with humanitarian and compassionate principles.
Therefore be it resolved
that the CCR call on CIC, in the case of the death of the sponsor or principal applicant, to ensure that:
- The permanent residence application is processed to completion taking into account the best interests of the child and other humanitarian and compassionate considerations.
- If the persons concerned are in Canada this processing be completed prior to potential removal.
Immigration and Settlement