- There are more than 120,000 refugees in the Dadaab camps and 86,000 in Kakuma refugee camp from several different African countries who have been resident there for up to 14 years;
- Peace processes are underway in the region, which have potential implications to refugees such as possible reduction of services and closure of camps;
Therefore be it resolved
That the CCR:
- Urge the UNHCR to ensure that conducive conditions exist before beginning any voluntary repatriation of refugees from the camps.
- Urge the UNHCR to continue to promote resettlement as a durable solution for these refugees.
- Encourage the Canadian government to continue to actively assist the UNHCR in promoting resettlement as a durable solution for these vulnerable populations;
- Encourage the Canadian government to increase funding to the UNHCR and WFP programs and services in the camps.
Overseas Protection and Resettlement