- The federal government has recognized the need to build welcoming communities as an integral component of successful settlement.
- The CCR has repeatedly (resolution 7, June 94; resolution 3, Nov. 94 and resolution 20, May 95) called upon the government to address the increasing backlash against refugees and immigrants.
- The media plays a determining role in shaping public opinion.
- There has been no significant proactive leadership role on the part of the federal government in highlighting the contributions of immigrants and refugees, and the role of settlement agencies through the mass media.
Therefore be it resolved
That the CCR:
- Call on the federal government to launch a large-scale, proactive mass media campaign to promote the contributions of refugees and immigrants.
- Urge that this campaign include significant input from refugee, immigrant and settlement communities and their advocacy agencies.
Immigration and Settlement