- Canada is a signatory to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child which guarantees education for children;
- Education is fundamental to child development;
Therefore be it resolved
That the CCR:
- Adopt the policy that education is a right of all minors regardless of immigration status;
- Write to appropriate Provincial Ministers of Education urging that they adopt the above policy, and, for those provinces where this is already required by law, urging that they comply with their own legislation;
- Write to CIC urging that in the interim letters of no objection be issued to the children of refugee claimants without delay prior to determination of eligibility.
Immigration and Settlement