- The Canadian government has shown an interest in integrating artificial intelligence (AI) in decision-making in immigration and refugee matters;
- These far-reaching technologies may have a huge impact on the lives of refugees and immigrants;
Therefore be it resolved
that the CCR advocate with the Canadian government to ensure that:
- Any use of artificial intelligence which may be adopted by the Canadian government, including IRCC, CBSA and IRB, respect international and domestic human rights law and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms;
- The government provides transparency regarding current practices and future uses of AI, independent oversight mechanisms, and any new binding standards;
- The government consults with the CCR, civil society, academia, policy makers, advocates, and most importantly, affected groups before moving forward with any AI initiatives.