The CCR has created a Refugee Leadership Development Program to promote strong representation of people with a refugee experience in positions of volunteer leadership within the CCR. The program is intended to encourage refugees to aspire to leadership and support them as they prepare for leadership roles. The program builds on the CCR’slongstanding commitment to promoting refugee participation within all levels of the organization.
WHO SHOULD APPLY FOR THE PROGRAM?
- Who have the experience of being a refugee
- Who represent a CCR member organization
- Who are interested in developing their leadership potential so that they can assume a leadership role within the CCR (e.g. as working group or core group chair or Executive member).
WHAT WILL THE PROGRAM OFFER?
- Be matched with a person with experience in a leadership role within the CCR who will act as a mentor.
- Develop a personal plan of activities within the CCR, reflecting their interests and needs, to gain the experience necessary to be ready to run for a leadership position.
- Be supported by the mentor and the office in achieving the personal plan.
WHAT WILL THE PROGRAM NOT OFFER?
- Participation in the program will not guarantee the person a leadership position within the CCR. Positions are filled by election and members use their own judgment in deciding who to vote for. The program is intended to give participants the confidence that they are equipped to run.
- The CCR will not cover travel costs to CCR meetings for program participants. However, those applying to the program can also apply to the Amina Malko Refugee Participation Fund for travel assistance. The selection committee for the Amina Malko Fund will take into consideration whether a refugee is applying to the Refugee Leadership Development Program and will normally grant one or two of the places available to such applicants.
- The focus of the program is on mentorship, not training. Participants will be expected to seek out information and opportunities themselves during the course of the program.
WHAT IS THE TIMEFRAME?
- Applicants must fill in and submit the application form below by Friday 9 December 2011.
- Participation in the program will be for one year, renewable.
Participants will be encouraged to consider standing for election November 2012.