Supporting newcomer youth civic engagement
Call to organize local projects
Fall 2016 – February 2017
As part of a national project, funded by Multiculturalism Canada, CCR is looking for organizations and individuals across Canada to organize 10 local youth-led projects.
The purpose of the projects is to support newcomer youth in addressing key issues for newcomer youth (especially marginalized youth), and in developing leadership on those issues.
The local projects will:
- consult newcomer youth on key issues and barriers, and explore ways of addressing them creatively, and
- provide youth with tools and guidance on how to engage with relevant decision makers.
Why get involved?
If you are a newcomer youth, or your organization works with newcomer youth, consider getting involved in order to:
- give newcomer youth in your area a chance to meet and work together, and get more engaged in improving things
- develop leadership among newcomer youth
- connect with other newcomer youth across Canada
What we are looking for?
Each local project needs:
- one or more newcomer youth leaders
- an organization providing support to the local project
In taking on the project, you will agree to:
- organize two sessions with newcomer youth (between December 2016 and February 2017)
- first one to brainstorm and identify key issues for newcomer youth. The session would include a creative activity to facilitate the process of identifying issues.
- second one to discuss how the youth can take action on one or more issue of concern, and equip them to take action, with participation of representatives of CCR members and others who can be useful to the youth.
- submit a report on the two sessions
- have one newcomer youth participate in conference calls of national committee
What CCR will provide?
- provide detailed guidelines to help you plan the sessions (with lots of room for you to be creative)
- pay $1,000 for the youth leading the project
- offer $1,000 for the expenses involved in the project
- pay $500 for the organization providing support to the project.
- organize national conference calls so that local youth leaders can connect and brainstorm with each other.
If you are interested, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday 19 October with the following information:
- Your name
- Your local area (city/town/region)
- Who the organizing team would be (that is the newcomer youth leader or leaders and the supporting organization)
- Anything else you would like to add.