- There are 22 Uighurs, Chinese nationals, being detained by the USA in Guantanamo Bay since their arrest in Afghanistan following the events of September11, 2001;
- The USA has determined that these Uighurs do not pose a threat to national security but is considering refoulement back to China where they will face persecution and torture at the hands of the regime that views them as terrorist activists advocating separation of their homeland;
Therefore be it resolved
That the CCR:
- Urge the UNHCR to publicly demand that the Uighurs are not refouled to China;
- Urge the UNHCR to intervene to seek a durable solution for these Uighurs as a means for their protection including to facilitate the resettlement of the Uighurs to the USA, where US nationals of Uighur heritage have offered to assist in their settlement, and/or resettlement to other countries as a means for their protection from refoulement or continued detention at Guantanamo;
- Use its opportunities at meetings with Canadian government officials and the UNHCR and at international fora to further the protection and achievement of a durable solution for the Uighurs currently held in Guantanamo.
Overseas Protection and Resettlement