- Stateless people are in a vulnerable situation because they have no protection from a state;
- IRPA does not specify stateless persons as a group needing protection or eligible for landing on humanitarian and compassionate grounds.
Therefore be it resolved
That the CCR:
- Strongly urge the Minister to amend IRPA to include statelessness as a ground for protection (both in Canada and for resettlement).
- In the alternative, use the authority of subsection 25(1) to establish "protection of stateless persons" as a public policy category for permanent residence and amend the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations to include statelessness as a ground for resettlement to Canada.
- As an interim measure urge CIC to amend the Immigration Manual, Chapter IP5, to include statelessness as a factor for landing in H&C applications. ID requirements and establishment requirements should be waived in view of the special hardships faced by stateless persons.
Overseas Protection and Resettlement