- The situation in southern Sudan is characterized by civil war, massive refugee flows, internal displacement, massive violations of human rights and chronic famine on an unprecedented scale.
- A peaceful solution is needed to end the civil war that has continued for 30 years.
- The international community should give urgent and concerted attention to the humanitarian tragedy of southern Sudan.
Therefore be it resolved
That the CCR:
- Use international fora to expose atrocities by the Sudanese government upon the people of southern Sudan.
- Call on the Government of Canada to bring the conditions of southern Sudanese to the attention of the appropriate UN bodies such as the Commission on Human Rights, the Security Council and the Department of Humanitarian Affairs.
- Call on the Government of Canada in cooperation with the UNHCR to address the security needs of Sudanese refugees and in particular Sudanese children.
Overseas Protection and Resettlement