- Safe, secure and affordable housing is a resource that plays a critical role in determining overall health and well-being and provides a base from which immigrants and refugees can seek employment, re-establish family relationships and make connections with the wider community;
- Immigrants and refugees are facing absolute and hidden homelessness problems in Canada;
- UNHCR Reception and Integration Handbook, ch. 2.8 (A Place to Call Home) outlines guidelines;
Therefore be it resolved
That the CCR:
- Write to all levels of government responsible for housing and immigration settlement to allocate more resources for affordable housing and to review the provision of adequate income and social assistance levels to facilitate access to safe, secure and affordable housing.
- Promote the best service guidelines in the area of housing developed by the UNHCR, ensuring that governments and service providers commit to the housing guidelines, and provide the support and resources needed to enable those guidelines to be maintained.
Immigration and Settlement