- Human rights violations in Haiti have been described as catastrophic by UNHCR officials;
- Many persons are unable to escape Haiti in order to seek protection as refugees;
- There are very limited options for protection in the region;
- The situation calls for a comprehensive regional protection plan;
Therefore be it resolved
That the CCR:
- Advocate for the addition of Haiti to Canada’s Source Country Resettlement Program.
- Urge the Canadian government and the UNHCR to find protection solutions for Haitians, both refugees and those internally displaced, including resettlement to Canada of vulnerable persons.
- Join with NGOs in the USA and elsewhere in the Americas seeking a comprehensive solution to the protection needs of Haitians, both IDPs and refugees.
Overseas Protection and Resettlement