- Increased violence against refugee women in camps, including rape and female genital mutilation practices, has been documented;
- Recent reports by Africa Watch document widespread rape in the refugee camps in North Eastern Kenya;
- The Somali community has on several occasions raised concern about the lack of security in refugee camps;
- There is very little or no funding for programs to provide physical protection to refugee women;
Therefore be it resolved
That the CCR write to:
- The Canadian government to urge that funds be allocated to UNHCR and relevant NGO's for programs providing physical protection to refugee women, and education and eradication of female genital mutilation, particularly in camps in North Eastern Kenya;
- The UNHCR and non-governmental organizations to urge that their workers return to live in the camps so that through their presence there will be better safety conditions in the camps.