- The situation in Liberia is in transition and is improving.
- The country is not able to absorb big numbers of returnees.
- Human rights are not generally respected.
- Repatriation is not a durable solution for all Liberian refugees in the region and some may meet the Country of Asylum Class criteria.
Therefore be it resolved
That the CCR:
- Urge CIC to consider resettlement of Liberians to Canada for whom repatriation is not the preferred option and as part of a broader effort to achieve durable solutions for all Liberian refugees in West Africa.
- Ask CIC to consult with interested NGOs in Canada regarding resettlement to Canada of Liberian refugees in West Africa.
- Encourage CIC to review sponsorship cases rejected in 2006 if the refugees live in camp-based situations and were rejected on the basis that repatriation is available to them.
- Request UNHCR to stop reducing financial support to the refugees in Buduburam Camp and restore the assistance to the past year level.
- Request CIDA to become actively involved in the post-war reconstruction in Liberia.
Overseas Protection and Resettlement