- Communities are seeing many incidents where sponsored refugees are leaving newborn children behind.
- Some children are dying as a result of these decisions.
- These decisions are being made based on information circulating in-country that reporting these newborns will result in their travel arrangements being cancelled.
- Information on how to report and procedures for reporting do not always reflect the context of refugee applicants regarding access.
Therefore be it resolved
That the CCR urge CIC to:
- Develop a policy which clearly states that reporting newborn children will not jeopardize a family’s passage to Canada.
- Communicate this policy to all embassies and UNHCR requiring that this policy be broadcast throughout the refugee population.
- Distribute this policy to refugee support systems in Canada for dissemination in ethnocultural communities.
- Facilitate a variety of avenues in which to report newborn children and ensure that applicants receive such information.
Immigration and Settlement