- Equitable access to resettlement and dignified treatment are fundamental to a just refugee resettlement system;
- Processing times for refugees to Canada from Africa are unacceptably long;
- The number of visa offices processing permanent residence applications in Africa is shockingly inadequate;
- CIC does not have the physical office space and resources to process applications;
- Refugees and their families suffer disproportionately from this situation in spite of the reality that African countries host huge numbers of refugees in need of resettlement;
Therefore be it resolved
That the CCR call on the government of Canada to provide:
- Sufficient visa offices in Africa to ensure adequate access.
- Sufficient resources to ensure timely processing times for refugee and family class applications in Africa.
Overseas Protection and Resettlement