- The situation in Zaire is acknowledged by both political and human rights experts to be very volatile, with human rights violations and violence rampant in various parts of the country.
- There is effectively no central government in control in Zaire at this time.
- Canada, recognizing this serious situation, is presently leading a major humanitarian initiative in Zaire and the Great Lakes Region.
- A growing number of Zairois (mostly in Montreal) have already received, or will be receiving, departure dates for the near future.
Therefore be it resolved
That the CCR:
- Urgently request the Prime Minister of Canada to address this inconsistency in Canadian policy by ordering an immediate suspension of deportations to Zaire.
- Request a clarification from the UNHCR on the dangers of deporting people to Zaire at this time.