Apply to be part of this year event!
We are pleased to announce that we will be holding our in-person Youth Action Gathering (YAG) from September 29 – October 1, 2023 in Montreal, QC on the theme of:
Embracing Youth Inclusion and Diversity!
Youth newcomers and refugees in Canada are the current and future leaders of our national community and hold power to create meaningful and sustainable change. Building an environment for youth to meet on a national level to address barriers and strategize together on common experiences allows for a community of support, understanding, and solidarity that persists even when they go back home.
What is the YAG?
A one-of-a-kind event for young newcomers and allies to meet in-person, the Youth Action Gathering (YAG) offers workshops, activities, and training in a friendly, supportive and accessible space on a variety of topics that concern young people. Ultimately, the main goal of the YAG is to have youth participants collectively decide what key issues the CCR Youth Network should advocate for and to develop action plans that encourage youth newcomers to become agents of change within their communities after the YAG.
Most importantly, the Youth Action Gathering is guided by the principle of being led by youth, made by youth, only for youth.
2023 YAG Sessions & Workshops
As part of the event, YAG participants will be invited prior to the event to develop workshops on the following topics:
- Mental Health & Well-Being
- 2SLGBTQIA+ Rights and Intersectionality
- Indigenous Solidarity and Reconciliation
- Navigating Employment and Workplace Rights
- Cultural Adaptation: Coping with New Culture
- Access to Education and Post-Secondary Institutes
- Community Involvement and Youth Engagement
- Working towards an Anti-Racist future
These topics and YAG theme have been chosen and voted on by our CCR Youth Network Core Team.
The YAG is a free event for newcomer and refugee youth between the ages of 16 to 25 regardless of immigration status, as well as Indigenous youth ages 16-25. Due to the high volume of applications and limited physical capacity of the YAG, applications will be reviewed and selected by the YAG planning committee through an equity-based criteria process.
To apply, submit the form below by Monday, June 5, midnight EDT.
- Eligibility criteria
YAG applicants must be:
- Between the ages of 16 - 25 years old when applying
- Youth who identifies as a refugee or newcomer (not born in Canada / has been in Canada for less than 10 years)
- Must reside in Canada and are eligible regardless of what their immigration status is
- Available to travel to Montreal for the YAG from Sept 28 to Oct 1, 2023
- Indigenous Youth are also invited to register for the YAG
- Additional assets
- Having the support of a CCR Member Organization. Check out our member listing to see if a CCR organization around you can sponsor your participation in the Youth Action Gathering!
- To ensure representation of different provinces in the Youth Action Gathering, we give preference to youth who live in Yukon, Alberta, Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Quebec
Want to get involved with the YAG?
As part of the YAG, you can help create a session for this year’s event!
When filling out your YAG application, make sure to indicate your interest in volunteering* and choose from the various topics or sessions from application form below.
*You will be expected to volunteer virtually for 3-5 hours a month from July – September 2023 if you are invited to the YAG.