Why are you Proud to Protect Refugees?
Get involved in the cross-Canada Walk with refugees
Organize a guided tour in your community with stops highlighting significant places and stories for refugees, former refugees and others seeking protection.
Join other communities across Canada is this national walk to show how refugees enrich our lives and why protecting refugee rights in Canada is a strong tradition to continue.
Click here for more details.
‘Today, as yesterday, a nation is judged by its attitude towards refugees.’
– Elie Wiesel (author, Nobel Peace Prize recipient)
Recent changes in Canada have increased negative talk and make it tougher for refugees to find protection and to feel welcome.
Join the Proud to Protect Refugees campaign to help change the conversation and promote a positive vision of what we want for refugees and other vulnerable migrants, and of the important contributions they make to our communities.
Here’s what you can do on your own or as a group:
- Adopt ‘Proud to Protect Refugees’ as a slogan and invite groups in your area to do the same
- Talk to others about why you are proud to protect refugees, and why they should be too.
- Share facts and stories about refugees and their contributions
- Organize or get involved in an event as part of the Walk with refugees for a stronger Canada (15 – 21 June 2015) or another key date in your community
- Order and share buttons, stickers, posters and other Proud to Protect Refugees materials
- Bust myths and misconceptions about refugees