- About Us
- Media Room
- The Issues
- Take Action
- Youth Network
The goal of the CCR Legal Affairs Committee is to seek opportunities to encourage development in the law towards better protection of the human rights of refugees, immigrants and other non-citizens.
The committee can consider:
- encouraging strategic litigation to address policy concerns
- starting a legal action
- applying for leave for judicial review
- intervening at the Supreme Court of Canada and other jurisdictions.
- joining a coalition of other groups who are challenging a legal policy or development before the courts.
- launching or participating in complaints or petitions to international human rights bodies.
The members of the committee are Sharry Aiken (co-chair), Pia Zambelli (co-chair), Rick Goldman (Executive liaison), David Matas, Audrey Macklin, Michael Bossin, Andrew Brouwer, Carole Simone Dahan, Angus Grant, Catherine Dauvergne, Chantal Tie, Heather Neufeld, Catherine Bruce and Laïla Demirdache.
Current and past cases include:
At the Supreme Court:
- Attorney General of Canada, et al. v. Pritpal Singh Mavi, et al., heard December 2010. Family sponsorship case. CCR was represented by Chantal Tie, Carole Dahan and Aviva Basman
- Németh v. Canada (Justice), 2010 SCC 56,  3 S.C.R. 281, November 25, 2010 (as an intervener). Extradition case. CCR was represented by John Norris and Brydie Bethell.
- Charkaoui v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration),  1 S.C.R. 350, 23 February 2007 (as an intervener). CCR was represented by Sharry Aiken. Memorandum filed
At the Federal Court of Appeal:
- Canada (Citizenship and Immigration) v. Kurukkal 2010 FCA 230 (as an intervener). CCR was represented by Angus Grant and Aviva Basman
- Canada v. Canadian Council for Refugees 2008 FCA 40, 31 January 2008. (safe third country challenge). CCR was represented by Andrew Brouwer, Leigh Salsberg and Barbara Jackman.
- Canada (Citizenship and Immigration) v. Thamotharem 2007 FCA 198, 25 May 2007 (reverse order questioning at the IRB, as an intervener). CCR was represented by Angus Grant and Catherine Bruce. Memorandum filed
At the Federal Court:
- Canadian Council for Refugees v. Canada (2007 FC 1262) IMM-7818-05, 29 November 2007 (safe third country challenge). CCR was represented by Andrew Brouwer, Leigh Salsberg and Barbara Jackman. Memorandum filed
The Committee also provides support and input to counsel preparing submissions on cases of interest to the CCR.