Refugee resettlement targets
- CCR is celebrating 25 years of private sponsorship in Canada;
- Canada's resettlement targets, including for private sponsorship, have largely remained unchanged for the past 10 years, even though overall immigration targets have increased;
- An increase in overall resettlement targets reflects a commitment to refugee resettlement and may lead to an increase in resource allocation to resettlement processing.
- CCR has consistently maintained the three principles of private sponsorship; partnership, additionality and naming;
Therefore be it resolved:
That the CCR:
- Urge the Canadian Government to set resettlement targets at a minimum of 8% of overall immigration targets, while respecting the private sponsorship principle of additionality;
- Work together with the SAH representatives to the NGO-Government Committee on the Private Sponsorship of Refugees to negotiate annual private sponsorship targets with CIC.
Overseas Protection and Sponsorship