Long processing times
- The Government, in the context of private refugee sponsorship, claims to be committed to the principle of additionality;
- Visa post staffing was drastically cut in the mid 90s;
- The overseas processing time for refugees is disgracefully long. (Departmental informants tell us that currently, from the time the completed IMM8s are received at the visa post until the interview takes place is 21 months in Nairobi and 36 months in Damascus.)
- The overseas delays make it increasingly difficult to sustain the interest of sponsors in the private sponsorship program;
- The Government is committed to move toward annual immigration targets of 1% of the population of Canada;
That the CCR repeatedly challenge the Government, the Minister and senior government officials directly, and through the media, to increase visa post staffing so refugees can be processed expeditiously and in greater numbers.