Action requests from CCR Working Groups, September 2011
At the recent CCR meetings, the Working Groups identified the following key action requests directed towards CCR members. Whether you were able to participate in the Working Group meetings or not, please take a look at these suggestions for follow up.
Immigration and Settlement
- Take action to oppose the proposal for Conditional Permanent Residence for some sponsored spouses and partners: http://ccrweb.ca/en/conditional-permanent-residence-spouses
- Take action on Bill C-4: Meet with your MP, collect signatures on the petition, encourage organizations to sign the statement against Bill C-4 (for resources, go to http://ccrweb.ca/en/c4)
- Have your organization sign on to the Nairobi statement: http://ccrweb.ca/en/statement-responding-african-refugees
- Collect signatures on the children’s rights petition: http://ccrweb.ca/en/youthrights/act-now
Overseas Protection and Sponsorship
- Take action on Nairobi, by signing the statement (or writing your own), and collecting signatures on the petition: http://ccrweb.ca/en/nairobi-action
- Meet with MPs in your area this fall (CCR will be providing resources and guidance soon)
- Get out positive messages about refugees: http://ccrweb.ca/en/4faces-4values-get-involved
Visting Members of Parliament in your area
Please plan on visiting local Members of Parliament in October to discuss priority issues facing refugees and immigrants. The CCR will be developing materials to give to the MPs and notes to guide you. We will be highlighting three issues: one for each Working Group.