We call on the Canadian government to:
- Provide increased bilateral and multilateral support to Syria, Jordan and other neighbouring countries in the region that are hosting over two million Iraqi refugees.
- Urge the governments in the region to keep their borders open to Iraqi refugees seeking asylum.
- Increase overall resettlement targets (for both government-assisted and privately sponsored refugees) so that there can be a significant increase in numbers of Iraqi refugees resettled to Canada, without reducing the number of refugees resettled from other regions.
- Expedite the processing of Iraqi refugees being resettled to Canada, including the security checks.
- Educate the Canadian public about the needs of Iraqi refugees and promote the involvement of Canadians in the private sponsorship of Iraqi refugees.
- Respond positively to UNHCR referrals for resettlement of Palestinian refugees in the border camps between Iraq and Syria.
- Press other countries not to forcibly return Iraqis to their country of origin.
See also the Backgrounder on this issue.