YAG 2017 travel subsidies application
Call for Applications – Travel Subsidies for Newcomer Youth
YAG 2017, Winnipeg, 28-29 April 2017
The Canadian Council for Refugees is pleased to be able to offer some funding to assist newcomer youth from across Canada in participating in the Youth Action Gathering (YAG) in Winnipeg, on April 28-29. For more information about the YAG, go to ccrweb.ca/en/youth/youth-action-gathering-2017
You live outside Manitoba? Keep reading...
To qualify, you must:
- Be between 16 and 25 years old.
- Have experience as a newcomer to Canada
- Be available to travel to Winnipeg for the YAG and committed to participate fully in the YAG if funded.
- Submit your application by Wednesday 8 February 2017 (sooner is better).
We will support as many youth as we can, but priority will be given to applicants who are one or more of the following:
- You are a racialized immigrant or refugee.
- You are a LGBT+ newcomer.
- You are an indigenous youth.
- You are a francophone newcomer youth
- You are engaged with newcomer youth locally and will bring your experiences at the YAG to your community.
- You are an active member of the CCR Youth Network.
- You have experience as a CCR youth leader for the NYCE project or have participated as CCR ambassador or in a CCR Speak up or photovoice project.
- You are committed to continue to participate actively in the CCR Youth Network after the YAG.
- You will play a leadership role (e.g. facilitate a workshop) at the YAG.
- You have raised part of the funding for your travel but need help with the rest.
- You are from a region that will not otherwise be represented at the YAG. (e.g. Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova scotia, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Prince Edward Island, Saskatchewan and Yukon)
We encourage two (or more) youth from the same community to apply because it can be easier to do follow up if youth can support each other.
Notes on funding
- Funding can cover air travel, ground transportation, hotel accommodation in Winnipeg and meals during travel. During the YAG Breakfast and lunch are included. Dinner is included depending on the social events organized.
- Youth funded will be responsible for booking their own travel. CCR will reimburse expenses on presentation of receipts up to agreed amount. (Exceptions may be possible if this would present a problem).
- Youth who are under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
Please provide complete application (including budget and the precise cost of the expenses you need covered). If you need help with completing your budget, please contact Eva Gracia-Turgeon (firstname.lastname@example.org). Here is a list of the cost you should be taking into account:
- Round trip to Winnipeg
- Accommodation for 2-3 nights, according to your tickets (We have a special rate with the Holiday inn at $129 per night for a double room accommodating a max of 4 people)
- An extra $15 for dinner if not provided for 2 of the 3 nights
- Your personal expenses
If you are planning on bringing a youth under 18, please contact us at email@example.com to receive the consent forms that will need to be signed.