Syrian Refugee Support Fund: Application
The Canadian Council for Refugees has established a Syrian Refugee Support Fund to help support the settlement of Syrian refugees in Canada.
The Fund was initiated by the Canadian Labour Congress and its affiliates, who asked the CCR to manage funds to support Syrian refugees in Canada. The fund is also supplemented by individual donations.
Purpose of fund
The Fund supports the settlement of Syrian refugees in Canada, i.e.:
- to facilitate family reunification through legal channels,
- to provide income support to impoverished recently arrived Syrians in Canada.
NB until October 2016 the Fund was also available to support private sponsorship. Having already distributed significant funds to support private sponsorship, the CCR has withdrawn this criterion.
Distribution through organizations
Funds will be distributed through refugee-serving organizations with charitable status in Canada. Organizations willing to take on this role must:
- Be registered charitable organizations
- Present a detailed plan for how they will use the money and for reporting to the CCR.
- Complete and submit the application form
If necessary, organizations may use up to 2% of funds received for their administration.
Selection will be made by a committee struck by the CCR for this purpose. Priority will be given to organizations with established track record and known to the CCR.
Organizations may apply for money from the Fund in accordance with the following criteria.
- The money must be used for one or more of the following purposes:
- to facilitate family reunification in Canada through legal channels,
- to provide income support to impoverished recently arrived Syrians in Canada. [in whatever immigration category they came – GARs, refugee claimants, etc.]
- The money must support Syrians who are refugees or who are personally affected by the conflict in Syria.
- The money must support people who have greatest need and who do not have access to other funds (e.g. through local or provincial funding sources, or through family).
- Where money is used to support family reunification, an example of use could be to pay the airfare for family members of refugees where funds not available.
- Where money is used to support impoverished recently arrived Syrians in Canada, the focus should be on the most vulnerable and based on a need. Examples of possible uses are drugs or medical expenses not covered by federal or provincial plans and payment of transportation loan.
Download the application form: