- About Us
- Media Room
- The Issues
- Take Action
- Youth Network
Invite community media near you to publish short articles on Bill C-31
The Justice for Refugees and Immigrants Coalition (Amnesty International Canada, the Canadian Association of Refugee Lawyers, the Canadian Civil Liberties Association and the Canadian Council for Refugees), together with dozens of other groups, stand for a fair, independent and affordable refugee system.
Members of the Coalition have written a series of five articles with concerns about Bill C-31 and how it fails to protect refugees and the interests of Canadians. Bill C-31 is presently being debated in Parliament, so now is a good time to share them with local newspapers and community radio stations.
Contact local community media outlets, especially ones in languages other than English or French. Ask them to publish the articles below as a series or individually. Each article outlines a key concern with Bill C-31 and how it will:
- Put Canadian permanent residents at risk
- Separate refugee families for long periods
- Allow the Minister to designate certain countries ‘safe’, despite the dangers for some individuals
- Keep asylum seekers in detention for one year without the possibility of review
- Deny refugees a fair chance to tell their stories
Some of these articles have already been translated into other languages, including:
Send an email to media [at] ccrweb [dot] ca so that we can keep track of which media have been contacted and have published articles.