What We Want for Refugees: Four faces, four values
We want refugees to be treated fairly and honourably, in a process that is independent and affordable.
These are Canadian values and treating refugees in this way is good for Canada and good for refugees.
We believe in fair treatment for refugees:
- Equal rules for everyone everywhere
- Listening to people’s stories
- Decisions in a reasonable time
We believe in independent decision-making for refugees:
- Decisions for refugees based on facts and law
- Each case decided on its own merits, not on politics
We believe in honouring our legal obligations towards refugees:
- Respecting the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
- Respecting Canada’s international commitments, such as the Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees and the Convention on the Rights of the Child
We believe in refugee policies that avoid unnecessary costs for refugee families and the Canadian taxpayer:
- Reasonable costs to reach the right decision the first time
- Enabling refugee families to support each other and contribute to Canadian society